Saturday, October 25, 2008

Kidney Stones! YIKES!

Have you ever had the deer in the head like looks when someone has told you that your kidneys are covered in stones!  (No wonder I have been in so much pain for months!)
I had a CT scan last Wednesday, and the Doctor told me that the stones were caught in my ureters, and too big to pass.  PAIN!  I have been in incredibly amounts of pain for months!  I have just been taking lots of narcotics and Ibuprofen to get me through going to school, and homework.  No I'm not a druggie! 

Friday I had surgery, and things went really well.  I can never figure out though how one minute you are in the operating room breathing through their mask, and the next minute you are in the recovery room wondering if you are going to throw up or not. It is such a weird feeling!

In the time that I have gone through this procedure it has allowed me to be able to talk to all kinds of medical people.  I have worried about nursing school because as I was trained as a CNA I discovered that nurses generally sit and chart, turn off alarms fix IVs, but they in general don't interact with the patient.  Sure they get the big bucks, but I love patient care, and I love people and spending time with them.  I have considered Radiology Tech but when I talked to the Rad Tech that took my x-ray he told me that they have to have Radiology Physics !  I think I will stick with College Algebra even though math is not my fort-ay! Physics scares the hell out of me!  Nursing sounds better and better!  I also took note of the recovery room nurses.  There weren't any CNAs or LPNs just RNs.  They did all the patient care and the charting.  That sounds better to me. 

At any rate I'm on the mend, filling a cup up with sand and thinking I'll be able to get up and go for a walk soon without pain.  Now the Dr. just needs to find out why I'm making the stones that I am.  I'm sure I will have to change my diet, but after this ordeal I'm very willing! 

6 comments:

caribickley said...

Wow - So happy to know that you are on the path to doing better. Next time you have surgery - let us know before!
Cari

naomi3 said...

There really wasn't any time. It was kind of emergency surgery, and it happened before I knew what was going on.

Em-Cat said...

Honey - Kidney stones suck! I can imagine the pain you were in. Although I can't imagine having stones stuck in my ureter that were too big to pass! Yikes! I hope you recover quickly and that all will go well with school.

MCGROVER said...

Only those who have had "stones" can imagine the pain. I was told this is the only way a man can experience the pain of child-birth.

Hope your recovery is going well. We are thinking of you.

Melissa said...

Glad the surgery went well, and that you're feeling better! You're a Rock Star!

MaricrisG said...

yikes! no wonder I haven't seen you around the net lately. I wish you a speedy recovery! Take care and be well soon...

Maricris

The Music Mom


About Me

Post Falls, Idaho, United States
I'm a mom of 3 great teenagers! I'm a wife of 23 years of marriage. Life is always an adventure. I have tried my hand at many things. I have a beauticians license, I have gotten a certificate for medical transcribing. I enjoy working at hospitals and have a CNA license. I'm a jack of all trades! I have homeschooled my kids up until last year. I miss them, but they have so much more they need to learn about the world around them, because life is an education! My goal is to write in this blog about the experiences that are happening in my life!